Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Reason We Serve

Rachel Scarborough
Development Intern


Hi! My name is Rachel Scarborough, and I’ve been working at Teen Haven Camp for nine years. I started as a camper and continued to be a junior counselor and finally a head counselor. These blogs are just a few of my camp experiences. Read, enjoy, and don’t forget the bug spray.

“I can tell you two things;- there is a God, and He loves you very much. And there is a devil, and he will do anything to stop you from getting where God wants you. So my advice to you is to pray, and I’ll pray for you too,” said Brandy*.


It was Wednesday night and the girls were all down at the campfire. One of the girls, Stacey*, shared a touching story about her dad and how he had abandoned their family. That’s when Brandy, another camper, spoke up and gave her some encouraging words. It was the first time I had witnessed an interaction between campers at the campfire. Usually the girls shared testimonies and the counselors would listen and minister to them as needed. However, this camper was brave enough to speak up and tell her fellow camp mate that she wasn’t alone. The camp fire continued in this manner. Older girls were comforting younger girls and offering advice, and some campers were even comforting counselors.

As I listened to a little girl named Becky share a story about getting raped, it hit me. This moment is the reason I serve. Everything that we as counselors go through and endure is all in order for these girls to get to this moment. The moments where they can get up at a campfire and share their story with other girls, who knows how it feels or who need to hear that it’s possible to come out on the other side. The moment when they realize Jesus loves them and wants to be a part of their lives.

As Becky sat down, I got up. I was going to share my story with these girls. A journey of how I found hope, renewal, and the unfailing love of Jesus Christ.




Help teens experience God in new ways. Provide a Teen Haven camp scholarship today. Click here to donate online!

*Name has been changed to protect privacy.

No comments: