Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Complaining

“There was no water for the people to drink at that place, so they rebelled against Moses and Aaron. The people blamed Moses and said, ‘If only we had died in the Lord’s presence with our brothers! Why have you brought the congregation of the Lord’s people into the wilderness to die, along with all our livestock? Why did you make us leave Egypt and bring us here to this terrible place? This land has no grain, no figs, no grapes, no pomegranates and no water to drink!’” (Numbers 20:2-5 NLT)

The children of Israel were always complaining about food, water, and where God had placed them and where He was taking them. God showed me that when I complain I am saying, “God, what you have provided for me is not good enough!” What causes me to complain? When my eyes are focused on my surroundings and not on Jesus, I complain. Like the children of Israel I tend to focus on my surroundings (what I have and what I don’t have). When I find myself in the wilderness, I often complain, not realizing that God is the one who led me there and if God brought me to a place of wilderness then it must be a good place for me.

Just like the children of Israel I start to blame other people. The children of Israel cried out for freedom for 400 years. God answered their cry and sent Moses to bring them out of captivity and still they complained all the time, not realizing that although they were in the wilderness, they were free! Just like me – when I was dead in my sins, I cried out to the Lord to save me and He did. I still complain about the hard place in life that He has me in not understanding that though it may be a hard place, I am free!

Also when I am in the wilderness I tend to take my anger out on other people blaming them for where I am just like the children of Israel blamed Moses and Aaron. I have to realize that I am not fighting against flesh and blood, but the enemy of my soul. It is so easy to focus on people and blame them because we can see them.

When in the wilderness I have to understand that God has not brought me there to die, but rather He has brought me there so that I might have a more abundant life in Him. He is using the wilderness experience to mold and shape me into His image. So I have to understand that what God has provided for me is good enough, even the wilderness.

- Nicholle M. Norton, Wonder Club teacher

No comments: