Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Treasures...

"Do not lay up for yourselves treasures upon earth; where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal. But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven; where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in or steal.” (Matthew 6:19-20)

Being involved in the learning center has been great. I am learning a lot. I recently took and passed three of my five GED tests. The learning center has taught me a lot about myself. I am discovering the value of slowing down and of asking for help. My need for rushing through life is disappearing.

A lifetime of making wrong choices brought me here. My life is coming together now. I have eight months sober and a vision which includes hope for a bright future. I am looking into options for College; seeking God’s direction. It is my desire to step into His design for me. I did not believe in God before I came here. I’m glad that He believed in me.

The Chaplains and Staff are so good and kind. They are a loving family to me. Prior to being here, I had not experienced stability in my life. It is great to feel wanted and loved by so many. If it were not for the Mission being here I would be dead. And, if it were not for the people who have donated money and resources, I would not have had a chance to survive. I am grateful. I am simply one of the many people who count on the mission being here every day. I see God’s work being done here, in me and others.

The bible says that we shouldn’t lay up treasures for ourselves on the earth but that we should give our lives to helping others. When we get to heaven, we will receive our real treasure—Eternal life with God. This is so cool; I can’t wait to see the streets of gold. All it took was faith in the One who will love me forever, no matter what mistakes I make.

Thanks to My Savior…

- Lester Laughman (Men’s Ministry Intern)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your blog was truly beautiful - praise be to God for all He has done, for all of us.