Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Tears...

The women’s shelter can be very sobering. In one night I experienced three issues that nearly brought me to tears.

  1. On Monday evenings while adults are in chapel, a volunteer provides a special activity for the children. On this particular night, the mother of a 7-year-old girl was called out of chapel because her daughter was practically screaming for her mom. I found out later that while out of the mission on an approved pass that weekend, the mother had run into her husband. The two got into a fight which landed her in the hospital with a concussion. Her oldest daughter, the one crying, must have seen it happen, and now didn’t want to leave her mom’s side.
  2. After praying for months, one mother in the shelter recently received custody of her 5-year-old son. Since coming to the shelter, the boy’s disposition and attitude showed that his past years of life with his father had included little discipline or stability. When he was playing with some other children tonight, energy levels were high and the play soon turned a bit dangerous. Before his mother could step in and calm things down, the boy ran into the corner of a piano and cracked his head open. While by itself, it wasn't very serious, the injury would add to several other recent accidents that were incurred from the boy doing the opposite of what his mother said. As the two sat together waiting for a ride to the hospital, she mouthed to me with despair, “I can’t take much more of this.”
  3. For evening check-in, adults over 18 report to the counselor’s office. A woman’s children have no responsibilities at this time. Tonight a woman checked in holding a newborn, saying it was her granddaughter. The baby’s mother didn’t check in, so I assumed the grandmother had custody of the baby, or some such situation. Later that night, I dropped off sanitary supplies in the same woman’s room. It was then that I finally saw the mother of the newborn – a 13-year-old girl. A girl who should have been doing her hair or studying for school but was instead pumping breast milk. I had to leave the room before tears spilled down, realizing that this baby would be 11 by the time her mother was my age.

I never realized the role that stability plays in a child’s life. I’m hurting inside tonight, and I’m wondering if I would be able to make it if I were homeless.

-Maria Ream, Development Dept

No comments: