Friday, February 08, 2008

Systems and Relationships

I have been thinking recently about relationships and helping someone who is homeless. Specifically, I have been thinking about relationship and systems. I think humans are pretty good at designing systems, including systems to help people. In my world of caring for homeless individuals we call them “continuum of care systems” or “the social service system” or the “health system”. I am proud of some great systems of care that our community has developed to help people in need. There are people and processes ready to help where needed.

I was wondering though what role relationships have in the success of those great systems? In working with homeless individuals, relationships of trust are incredibly important. It is not unlike the relationship of a business with a customer. Without the trust of its customers, a business will not succeed. Without trust an individual—a homeless person—may not choose to access available services simply because they don’t know and therefore don’t trust the people in the system. All the great intentions and best systems fail if not interwoven with relationships of trust.

I think we need to regularly guard against allowing really good systems of care to push out relationship. Relationships can be hard work. Creating and managing systems often seems easier and, to be honest, it is. I think the key variable is that in a relationship we don’t have as much control over the outcomes.

I think when we value the system more than the relationship, caseworkers get weary. The daily work becomes managing the system instead of helping the person. When we push relationship out of the provision of care, a homeless person becomes discouraged, disillusioned and even more frustrated with life. I know this because, ashamedly, there are times I catch myself focusing more on ‘systems of care’ than on the people for whom they are designed to care. I must remind myself that systems without relationships are simply inhumane.

-Jere Shertzer, WSRM President

No comments: