Friday, August 15, 2008

Feeling exposed


Sometimes a student’s time in the Learning Center does more than just address academic needs. It affects the heart as well. Here is a letter from one of our Learning Center Students.

“While working on my Phase Petition (an application to move to the next level of the program), I was inspired when I discovered some information about the Learning Center.


Up until this point in my time here, I didn’t believe that there was a time I was caught so naked until then. The Learning Center format is set so that you can't just cruise through under the radar. The Learning Center format is designed to strip away all our masks and hiding places. My own resistance to the Learning Center was not because I was afraid of learning. It was because I was afraid of admitting that I didn’t know or was having trouble grasping the simple basics of education.


The Learning Center is designed to expose people like myself. In there, I wasn’t the coolest or the smartest or toughest. I was forced to expose these discoveries to volunteers half my age. Not being the smartest guy in the world is something I already knew. But showing everybody else that I wasn’t was one of the most difficult things I’ve done.


I am a man who wears many hats, several masks and, at times, both. But I couldn’t fool the Learning Center system. And, I found out that despite my flaws, the Learning Center loved me…warts and all!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whoever wrote this seems like a very smart person, indeed. Great grammer! Uh, I mean...grammar?

Lol.

Have fun in the learning center, would love to visit that place someday :)

God bless!

Carolina