Wednesday, August 27, 2008

"Working" in Youth Ministry or "Living" Youth Ministry?


In this world work is a daily routine. Get up, brush teen, get dressed, go to work, do the work, and come home. Except, for a youth worker, work doesn’t work that way. Sometimes that sounds good. Sometimes I want a regular 9 to 5 shift and sometimes I would rather talk to my dog than talk on my cell phone.


So why do I come to work every day?

Sheena came to Teen Haven Camp on August 4th confessing to believe in the devil because all she’s been exposed to was evil, but not in God. She’d been physically, mentally and sexually abused. Though, at first sight, she appeared to be sweet on the outside, inside she was a time bomb on its last tick full of anger and rage. Her belief system was a challenge for all of us. The big question in our minds was, “What would Jesus do?” As counselors, we talked about what the best ways to minister to her would be, we prayed for her, but the best thing was to let God be God and trust that He would reveal Himself.


After a week full of tears, frustration, and doubt Sheena came knocking at my cabin on Thursday night. She came in and asked if I was busy. The following conversation was one of the most amazing ones I’ve ever had. She began by saying, “I think I know what my purpose is. I think God wants to use me to bring my family back together.” My jaw wanted to drop to the floor! Not long after, she made her official confession of faith and accepted Jesus Christ as her Lord and Savior!!!

This youth worker business isn’t really an option for me. Jesus doesn’t clock in at 9 and clock out at 5 so He is the reason that I come to work. The fruit of my labor is Sheena. So how does being a youth worker work? It works when it isn’t called work. It works when it’s called life.


-Nina Maldonado, Teen Haven

No comments: