Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Conversations in the Community

After receiving more than a handful of disparaging remarks sent to the mission in recent weeks I decided it may be best to try and calm the brewing storm. So I set out to visit face to face with a few of the ministries constituents. After finding the home of the person I had hoped to speak with, I noticed a car slowly backing out of the driveway. It was the women I had just traveled 20 minutes to see. She stopped as I approached the car and rolled down the window. For the next 15 minutes we discussed everything but the matter I had hoped to address. By the time I finally mentioned her note and concern for how her donation was being used she had assured me she believed in the work being done at Water Street and would continue to support our efforts. A few simple words spoken on behalf of all those who seek refuge in the Lord’s hands at Water Street Ministries. Taking the time to let someone know we appreciate the support they give us can be a double blessing.

As I walked back across the street to my vehicle a man was collecting his mail and gave a shout asking who I was. Walking over to him I sensed I was in for a bit of a battle. But the Lord used the moment to allow me to speak to the heart of this man. Uncertain of who I was and less certain of what Water Street Ministries was all about the spirit went to work on this man’s heart as I explained my role and what I was doing in his neighborhood. I spoke of the various ministries and the need for support, even mentioning opportunities for volunteering. The man thanked me for my time and went inside his house. Once I returned to my vehicle I sat there for a moment and just thanked God for putting me in that place at that time and allowing me to share the good news about what is taking place on the 200 block of South Prince Street.
Amen


Keith Shetter • Director of Donor Relations

No comments: