Friday, December 11, 2009

Shoes for the Kingdom

Isn't it interesting how God desires to constantly use US, wherever we are, and with whatever we have? Yet, too often we aren't willing to lay down the things that God wants us to surrender to Him most. In the midst of the "busyness" of this Christmas season, may we all remember the sacrificial love that Christ demonstrated for us. Are we willing to give of ourselves, as he gave of Himself for us? Are we willing to surrender our possessions and our desires to give him glory? Wouldn't that be the best gift we could ever share with someone else?

The following story reflects the beauty that is seen in sacrificial giving...

A pastor of a local church was sharing with his congregation on the need to be generous. He challenged them to give to those in need - to reach out to their neighbor. Through this message, he went on to talk about the Bible mentioning we are to give the clothes off our own backs to the poor. The depth of this message resonated within the church members hearts in such a powerful way that they didn't want to leave without responding. In fact, someone actually decided to remove their shoes and leave them in the church. Before the morning had ended, the idea spread and 50 people walked out the door with NO shoes.

Isaiah 52:7
How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation, who say to Zion, "Your God reigns!"


The sacrificial love and surrender of these 50 bare-footed believers truly reflects the good news of our Savior! Praise God for the humble obedience of each person who gave of themselves for someone here at Water Street Mission. Each of these 50 pairs of shoes was delivered to Outreach Ministries where many will be impacted through the generosity of each person.

Matthew 25:34:40
34"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' 37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'


Keith Shetter • Director of Donor Relations

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a church I want to be part of! My church gives, but it is never so spontaneous like that. Thanks for sharing!

Water Street Life said...

Yes, what a testimony of the church at work! Isn't it neat to imagine how the world might be impacted if we each chose daily to be more spontaneous, and intentional about seeking opportunities to love others?