Monday, January 03, 2011

Looking Back

The following are reflections from a graduate of the Men's Recovery Program...

I am awed by my experience here at Thaddeus Stevens. Even to the point of being overwhelmed. I wonder if things can get any better. I am discovering things about myself that for the longest I only fantasized about. Both in terms of ability and emotional experience.

I question why I did not go back to school when I was younger. In reality I know the answer. It is because I was overly involved in my emotional pain, and choose to comfort myself in attachments instead of seeking solace in relationships.

At the risk of sounding pretentious I now believe that I can, I will, I do, I am, and I have. In a way I am living my dream, and it’s fantastic. At this point Craig Hickey would remind me of Romans 12:3, and I do well to remember that the only accurate way to understand myself is by what God is and by what he does.

This verse says, “For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you.”

All of this of course comes by grace, and is the result of my experience here at college and, also from having been involved in the programs, and opportunities presented to me by you and Water Street; without which I would
not be here continuing my education. You have a part in my success, and I thank you!

To Learn more about the programs within the Men’s Discipleship Center of Water Street Mission visit:
http://waterstreetministries.org/Ministries/WaterStreetMission/MensDiscipleshipCenter.aspx

No comments: