Thursday, July 22, 2010

Getting my car inspected...


A friend of mine has a blog where he discusses faith, life, God, etc... yesterday he randomly asked me for a "word" to spark his thought process for a new blog. This is what immediately popped into my mind:

"Inspection - I gotta take my car in to the garage later today...

Now with the new one, it's a very different experience, but with our old cars, the day I dropped off the car for inspection was nerve racking one... how much will it cost this time? Is this the end of the road for this car?

How does (or should) inspection play a role in our walk with Christ... does self-examination make me squirm the same way that car inspection day does? How do you feel knowing that God can see "under your hood" all the time?"

Here at Water Street and Teen Haven, "self inspection" is part of our growth process - as individuals being transformed by Christ (both staff and clients) and as an organization. Honestly, some days it feels like I'm taking the old '77 Chevy Caprice Classic into the shop and I know the mechanic is going to give me a laundry list of repairs needed... other days are like yesterday (my car passed with flying colors - although I had them rotate the tires for good measure).

The good news is we have a mechanic who is more than willing to work with us... he knows our vehicle better than we ever will... he can find the beauty in in the most beat up old hoopty (or jalopy)... and he already paid the price for all the repairs we need.

Knowing the mechanic makes "inspection" day a lot less nerve-wracking.

Jack Crowley, Teen Haven
PS - my friend ended up just using my thoughts for his blog... so I thought it would be OK to steal it back - you can check out some of his other thought provoking posts at http://radaph.blogspot.com

No comments: