Monday, August 02, 2010

An Invitation

You’re invited.

Isn’t that exciting?

You feel accepted, loved, and understood. An invitation has the power to transform an outcast into a member; one who belongs. But in my life, God always has a way of flipping things on their heads.

Let’s start at the beginning of the story. I am an amateur photographer. I mean amateur. Thanks to an extremely generous co-worker, I even have a camera and a small array of accessories. Through this gift, photography has become my mainstay hobby of personal exploration. But who has time for hobbies, really? If it’s not for some hope of profit, it’s obviously a worthless endeavor, at least that’s what my checkbook keeps telling me.

A few weeks ago, a group of artists at a local church decided to ‘share’ their creative talents with the rest of the congregation at an ‘art retreat.’ What a great idea, a forum to discuss the importance of a creative outlet. I thought this was a fantastic idea. Everyone needs to be able to express themselves creatively, even if their work isn’t hung in a museum. They even asked me to submit some work for the show. I jumped at the invitation. The members of the group, without question, are very talented individuals. I could not believe I had been admitted into the inner circle. Desired, loved, accepted, and needed. I could have run for days on the emotional adrenaline.

I worked diligently to prepare. I printed a few select photos, mounted them to a piece of leftover foam core and proudly placed my work on the shelf at church. To my disbelief, everything had a price tag. Instead of an open forum to discuss the importance of a creative outlet, I was smack between ‘buy one get one free’ and $25 ‘specials’. The ‘art retreat’ had turned into a promotion for profit. The group of artists had traded an opportunity for deep spiritual growth and outreach; for personal wealth. Seriously, where is Jesus with a whip when you need him? I could have used some over-turned tables to mirror the pieces of my broken heart. I felt so betrayed. I wanted so desperately to be a part of a group to reach out and encourage others creatively.

But God knew my heart, he knew what I desired most of all. A week later I heard Water Street Ministries needed paint supplies for its art program. I had recently cleaned out my old college art supplies including a bag full of acrylic paints. Was this a coincidence? As a result, there is such a joy when I stroll through the mission and see all the meaningful artwork adorning the halls. When I see a client working on a sketch during his break at the Learning Center, there is a feeling of deep connection. This was the real invitation I had been longing for. This was the membership of significance, the acceptance and community I had desired. I was finally able to help others discover themselves through artistic expression. I feel so blessed to have been able to participate.

- Written By: Jon Sullenberger, Learning Center Volunteer

No comments: