Friday, August 27, 2010

Interruptions and God-Moments at Wonder Club

Last week I went into work to get a couple of things done before I "officially" go back to work. Well, I walked in the door and the maintenance man from the church asked me whether a particular shelf unit was Wonder Club's. I immediately recognized the unit, and told him that yes it was ours. He said that the church was cleaning house and accidentally put it in the give-away pile.

So, this was my opportunity to depend upon God... He is the one who let this interaction happen at this moment. Therefore I needed to deal with them before getting to the things I had on my to-do list. I went to the basement to talk with the youth minister about the cabinet. It was neat... she has been around for about a year and I have not had much time to interact with her, and now God ordained the moment.

We talked about the revisions she is doing to their space and how the job is going and also about the cabinet. She didn't know it was ours and apologized and we were able to figure out what stuff belonged to Wonder Club and what stuff belonged to the church.

As I was bringing up our items to our floor, I was glancing through them. Wow! I have seen these letter people (see picture) for a few years now, but for some reason this time it stuck out to me. When I brought everything upstairs, I cleaned the posters and I really liked them! It seems like fun ways to incorporate letters into the classroom. I had left the storage box downstairs and was about to throw it away, but then I remembered that another teacher was looking for a place to store big books and I thought this may just work. That teacher came in later in the day (as I was still going through the letter people items) and I showed her the box. Wow! She said it would work wonderfully!

As I left for the day, I realized that I did not even touch anything that I had planned on doing, but since I depended on God's moments instead of mine, much more happened, and not just for me. Through following God's "interruptions", 1) I was able to build a relationship with one of the ministers of the church, 2) I found a fun way to talk about letters with my students, 3) another teacher was able to be blessed with an item she has been wanting, and 4) Wonder Club ended up cleaning house a little too! God's "interruption" was not an interruption but an opportunity to depend upon Him with the next steps. Thanks, God!!!

Nicole Imhof – Wonder Club Teacher/Site Supervisor

No comments: