Monday, April 18, 2011

Give It Away to Keep It

This post is part of our current Blog Series - focusing on Addiction! As you read these stories we invite you to share your thoughts, reflections and insights. This series will include stories on addiction, along with 8 articles from our most recent Messenger magazine. Our hope is that as we engage in conversation together, we can gain a deeper understanding in the midst of trials and celebrations of overcoming addiction.
About two years ago, I had significant back surgery but was not ready to surrender to the idea that my body had given out. At the same time, a Water Street Ministries flyer came through our church mailbox, and the mentoring program at the Mission jumped out at me. I am an alcoholic with 20+ years of sobriety under my belt. The old AA saying is, “give it away to keep it”, so what better opportunity than to share some counsel and hope from my own experiences with destitution, homelessness and depravity? I could do this whether or not my back healed.

Thus started my relationship with my mentee, George. In the 12+ months I’ve known him, I’ve seen him blossom from a person hiding in an angry shell to a person with feelings and compassion.

Not too long ago, I attended “Landmarks”, a ceremony celebrating Water Street Mission clients’ landmarks on their journeys out of homelessness. The stories were nothing but amazing. As George got up to share, I thought, “Could this man be the same person I met so many months ago?” He is not; he is a new being on both the outside and inside by the grace of God. I look forward to continuing my relationship with George and being a part of what God is doing throughout Water Street Ministries. By Bill Holder, Volunteer Mentor, Water Street Mission

We hope you enjoyed article 7 of 8 from the Messenger magazine - Winter 2011 Edition! Sign Up to receive the Messenger magazine electronically, here!

Stay tuned for the next post in this series on Addiction!

No comments: