Monday, October 02, 2006

I remember Rampy

Recently I read an article in the Sunday News about Marta Estrata and her book "To the Mafia With Love". She is a native of South America who was touched by the power of God. Now, as the Director of the Lancaster branch of New Life for Girls, she helps young women break free from the bondage of sin through the power of Jesus Christ. She is often seen in the halls of Water Street Rescue Mission.

That stirred my memory banks to when I was a teenager, living in Philadelphia. Our church would go down to a center city mission once a month and provide special music and a message for an evening service. Even though I did not see any obvious fruit at that time, I was very aware that miracles do happen.

Through my church, I was acquainted with a man named Bob Rampy. I learned that he was saved in a mission and his life was so transformed that he eventually became the head of the Water Street Rescue Mission here in Lancaster. God ultimately called him to the mission field, with his wife Marcella, in South America.

Could there be any correlation between Bob and Marta's stories? I don't know, but I do know that God is still in the business of changing lives!!!

-Arlene Snyder, volunteer RN in the Medical Clinic

No comments: