Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Where are the parents?

I found this in some old papers. I wrote it a long time ago. Though it is not even good as poetry goes, it does convey very well life at my house at 5 years old.

Raised on TV

Peter was flying; Wendy was smiling and happy.
Daddy was yelling.
Howdy told jokes; we all watched cartoons.
Mommy was screaming at Daddy.
Beanie and Cecil chased Dishonest John; Nell was kissing Dudley’s horse.
Daddy was hitting Mommy with a stick.
Underdog was Shoeshine boy; Sweet Polly always got saved.
Daddy pulled Mommy’s hair.
Sgt. Preston of the Mounties pets King his wonder dog.
Daddy kicked Mommy on floor.
Casper was a friend to all; the Ranger wore a mask.
Daddy bled from both arms.
The Hardy boys find the treasure; Rin Tin Tin helps Rusty out.
Flashing lights? A car that screams? A bed with wheels like my wagon?
Flipper jumps so high; 86 & 99 fight Chaos for Control.
The walls were red and runny.
Annette and Cubby sing me songs, and I feel good.
I’m afraid to turn away again. Please leave the TV on.

- Aaron Eggers, Men’s Ministries

No comments: