Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Come as a child, pt 2


I’m trying to resist the urge to be a detective. Many days I am confronted by a unique resident’s story that seems totally plausible. And I find myself having to weigh his words and evaluate whether I’m hearing truth or not. And I don’t want to be a cop because quite frankly I didn’t come to the mission to be a cop and pretty much every one I run into is smarter than I am! So where does that leave me?

I need to become like a child.

Imagine living life as a child might! Imagine laughing as though for the first time. Or crying with no concern about what others are thinking. Imagine loving without reservation. Or speaking instantly and openly. Or being fascinated without any cynicism. Imagine being amazed with no doubts. Or trusting without concern.

I am reminded of how Jesus encouraged us to become like a child! He welcomed children to his lap and treated them with great tenderness and drew attention to their native qualities. And with His example I can lay aside my impulse to be a detective. Some guys have and will ‘get over’ on me. Many will talk faster, argue harder, and debate better than I! And that’s okay! Success here is not about how slick I am nor how often I can lay out a superior argument in a discussion but how much like a child I can be as I live for my Father. It is when I am, and we are – childlike – that God will be most evident.

Lord, help me to be less childish and more childlike.

- Steve Brubaker, Residential Ministries

No comments: