Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Charred stones


What has God taught me lately...

God can use "Charred Stones."

In the book of Nehemiah, one of the enemies, Sanballat mocks Nehemiah and the Israelites saying, "Can they ever use these burnt stones, full of soot and ashes to rebuild the wall of the city?"

The Lord is teaching me that the people I work with (homeless women and families) are like these stones, and I am like these stones also. That through the Lord, these stones can be used. He sees the heart, that it can be restored, healed and made strong, becoming living stones.

I've struggled because many times I only see what is charred... the soot and ashes, the damaged lives and emotions, the lies and addictions, the battered and bruised hearts and lives. And I think that the damage is permanent. But the story of Nehemiah and the Israelites rebuilding the wall using burnt ash covered stones is a powerful one and it restored my vision and hope to see each person as precious and priceless. And to recognize that there is no limit or bounds to what God can and will do!

-Gentine Clark, Women's and Family Ministries

No comments: