Thursday, May 01, 2008

A gift


My friend Angela and I attended a LCBC women’s retreat in Strasburg this past weekend.

After the conference ended on Sunday, we decided to go someplace to eat lunch since neither of us had eaten breakfast that morning and we were fairly hungry. It was 12:20 and knew that any place we chose along Route 30 would be packed with tourists and those eating out after attending church services. On our drive back to Neffsville, I suggested that we go to Olde Hickory Grill; it has the best Angus burgers! Since Angela had never eaten there, we decided that was the place to eat.

When we got to the restaurant, it was packed and moving from the doorway to the cash register was difficult. After waiting for about a minute, still at the doorway, an elderly woman who was waiting for a table told me to put my name in at the cashier. When our table was available, we sat in a corner booth. I noticed that the woman who previous talked with me was sitting (alone) at the table beside us. I whispered to Angela that maybe we should invite her to join us for lunch, because typically, no one likes to eat alone.

Angela did invite her to join us and the woman said, “You made my day.” She sat beside Angela and she introduced herself. Her name is “Ms. Finny” and she is 85 years old. She had just come from church (Highland Presbyterian) and owns a cottage at one of the local retirement homes. She told us all about her three daughters, their families and that she recently returned from California to attend her grandson’s wedding.

When she saw my sweatshirt had Eastern University on it, she said that she went on a tour to Israel, which was lead by one of the Eastern University professors and told us all about her adventures.

When we were finished with our meals, the waitress came over to our table and said that someone had paid for all of our meals! We were all stunned! We asked her who it was and the waitress said that it was someone who had eaten at the restaurant and saw Angela and I invite Ms. Finny to join us. This anonymous gift was the result of us asking a stranger to eat with us. We had no idea who anonymously paid for our meal, since they had left the restaurant before we had finished our meals.

Ms. Finny said that she was blessed by spending time with us and we assured her that she had also blessed us. Angela and I gave her a hug before we left the restaurant and went our separate ways.

Angela and I had never expected such a gift in Ms. Finny. She is a beautiful woman of God. In addition, knowing that someone noticed our gift of kindness and acted upon it compels me to pass this kindness on to others.

- Jane Keller, HR Director

No comments: