Friday, April 17, 2009

The “Us & Them” Paradox (Part two)

Though it has become popular these days to ridicule any sense of us & them distinctions, I wonder how far it will go. My question is, “How far should we go in trying to erase the lines between us & them?” Is there any time where a clear us & them distinction is good and right?

When I go to my auto repair place I think I prefer them distinguishing clearly between those (them) who can repair motors and us who cannot. From this simple example many more spring to mind where a clear distinction separating us & them is important.

Here are a few:
Who treats the sick: them or us?
Who enforces the laws: us or them?
Who flies the planes: them or us?
Who teaches the children: us or them?
Who runs the company: them or us?
Who makes the rockets: us or them?
Who makes nuclear reactors: them or us?

I am sure there are many more examples of us & them categories about which we are very glad that they exist. But it seems to be getting to the point where any notice of any difference of skill or resource level is considered demeaning in some way.

Sometimes even here on campus we are made to feel as though we are supposed to apologize for having something to offer our clients (them). Further, even to believe we have something to offer them is seen as arrogant.

Why is this helping ministry singled out as ‘condescending’ for believing we have what they need? When did us offering a cup of cold water out of our supply to them, who have no water, become a bad thing.

I continue to encounter voices that seem to think that homeless and /or addicted people (them) are the same as us. They are not. If they were we would all be homeless and/or addicted or none of us would be.

We work with a unique population, and working with this population requires as much, or more, skill and training as any other field of life. Let’s stop apologizing for being experts in our field. If I am ever in need of these services again, I want someone working with me who knows what to do to help me.

I don’t see the problem with recognizing the differences between us & them. A clear understanding of these differences is exactly what helps us to help them.

- Aaron Eggers, Men’s Ministries

No comments: