Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Introducing...


We have so many wonderful volunteers who serve faithfully here at Water Street Rescue Mission. But just saying that doesn’t quite have as much impact as actually “meeting” some of our volunteers. Dr. Christine Janouscheck, is one of our volunteer doctors. Read below and get to know a little bit about her!

When did you start volunteering at the Medical Clinic?
September, 2004

How often do you volunteer?
Every Monday from 9am – 12pm (She actually has a “following” according to Gale, our Director of Health Services – people that sign up for appointments only when they know Dr. Janouscheck will be there)

What do you do when you’re not volunteering?
Take care of my 3 boys! They are 8, 12 and 14.

What led you to volunteer at WSRM?
It just kinda “fell into place”. I was at a medical conference and the woman in front me turned around and introduced herself to me. That woman was Dr. Lenora Berning, who was volunteering at the clinic at that time. We got to talking and I ended up here!

Have you ever volunteered before (at other places)?
I have volunteered working as a doctor for migrant workers. That was an interesting experience—working from a trailer and going out into the fields to treat people.

What has been your favorite experience? Why do you keep coming back to WSRM?
It is definitely the spiritual aspect that makes me come back. Doctors aren’t trained to investigate the spiritual side of illnesses, and are often afraid to even go there. I know that God is the true healer, but working here has really allowed me to see it first hand. I have learned so much!

What have you learned?
I have learned so much from my patients. They actually ask me to pray with them, they are looking for the spiritual side of healing as well. They come to be healed physically, but they want more. I have learned to rely on the Holy Spirit in my medical work.

How has this experience shaped what you think you may do in the future, how you relate to others, how you relate to God?
This experience has definitely changed me! It has been such a humbling experience for me to work here. I have treated people who are such survivors – a woman who was born with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, never met her mom, was thrown out onto the streets at the age of 12, got into drugs, but now she wants nothing more than to glorify God and serve Him by working with kids! I am humbled.

What would you say to others who may want to volunteer?
It’s a fulfilling and joyful experience! It also has given me opportunity to grow spiritually. I have truly lost my heart to my patients here. This place (WSRM) works like the “Kingdom of God” – staff and volunteers work together as a team, each using their gifts in holistic ministry. Each time I come I am amazed by seeing Christ at work!

No comments: