Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A Father's Journey


(The following article can also be found in the most recent Water Street Messenger)

By Wendy Capoferri, volunteer

Russell Mumma does not sugar coat his life choices. He shares, “I was a lousy father to my daughter. I was not around for birthdays or anything. Holidays were all about me, me, me. They were just another day to get high.”

Until two years ago, Russell hardly remembers a time when drugs and alcohol were not the focus of his life. Married at age 19, he was already an addict. When his marriage ended five years later, he continued to live a destructive life until he hit rock bottom at the age of 48. Suicidal, addicted to heroin and homeless, Russell ended up in a local hospital. Upon his release, he came to Water Street Rescue Mission and enrolled in the long-term recovery program.

“No one would have wanted to be around me two years ago,” states Russell. However, change did not happen overnight. “God is working on me daily. I see things happening in my life that can only be the work of God. They can’t be me,” he says.

Currently working on earning his GED, Russell recently became a Men’s Ministry Intern. Love and kindness are two feelings Russell prays will grow and develop as he strives to be a positive influence to others. “Being around Christians here at Water Street makes me see how good it feels to help others. It feels so much better to give than to take,” he says.

As for Russell’s daughter, who is now 30 and has a 9-year-old daughter, she has given her father a wonderful gift – forgiveness. Russell recently attended his daughter’s wedding. He shares, “I rejected my daughter, her mother and the rest of the family for 25 years. They were happy to see me and so glad I became a Christian. They welcomed me with open arms. I even got a hug from my granddaughter. I will never forget that.”

Although his daughter now lives out of state, Russell talks to her as often as he can. This Father’s Day, he would rather think of others than himself. Russell explains, “I’m thankful my daughter had a good mother and step-father. I am proud of my daughter and I’m glad she forgives me. I can hear it in her voice, read it in her letters and thankfully, I saw it on her wedding day.”

1 comment:

bigbsmiles said...

Keep up the good work Russell. I too have been a lousy Dad until 5 years ago and now have a Pacemaker from years of self abuse, God has a plan for men like us, change takes conscious effort, one day at a time. Sincerely, Brian