Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Keeping my word to a father in Heaven...


It was three years ago. Daniel Rhodan (a teen intern) visited the hospital with a minor injury and I was able to chat with his dad. As we ended our conversation he commented, “Thank you for taking care of and loving my kids. Keep an eye on them for me.”

Three months later Daniel's dad died of a heart attack. He left behind a wife, three boys and two girls (ages 6-15). Daniel (15) took on the responsibility of being the head of the household. The adjustment was extremely difficult and painful, and in the midst of that a minor conflict over Daniel's role in our programs become a significant breakdown. Although we maintained some contact with the family, we did not really see them for about three years.

Two months ago we reconnected. The family expressed a desire to reconnect with Teen Haven, and Daniel (19) and James (17) returned to serve (initially as volunteers and eventually as interns) and brought their brother Joel (11) as a camper. Last month Jasmine (15) returned also to serve as volunteer junior counselor.

A couple of Sundays ago, just as the bus was to leave, a young lady (9 yrs old) came seeking my help. She wanted me to retrieve her pink sweater, lying in the middle of the baseball field. I told her to get in the golf cart and we went for a ride she would not forget. As we bounced and made our way, she laughed and giggled. She scooped up her sweater and we headed back to the bus. As we scurried. I asked her name; she smiled and said, “Diamond”. I kidded her about her name and she smiled and boldly said, "My name is Diamond Rhodan." and from that moment on our conversation centered on the wonderful memories of her daddy and what he meant to both of us.

As the bus left, I sensed heaven open a window and a smile on a daddy’s face.

Keeping my word to a father in heaven.
And a special reminder from our heavenly Father.

Thank you Lord.

-Vinny Mikusow, Teen Haven Camp

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow Vinnie,
That was so nice. Thanks for writing this. I had not realized it has been three years since the death of Mr. Rhodan...he was such a nice guy.

Blessings,
Rita