Friday, June 13, 2008

Filling the emptiness


When I got here to Water Street Rescue Mission August 1, 2007, I was physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually bankrupt. I was looking for a way out of the hell that my life was in because of alcohol and drugs.

Most of my life I was searching for something to fill the emptiness that I’ve always felt inside. It appeared that drugs filled that hole for a while, and then I began to experience the ugly side of addiction that robbed me of everything, including my self-respect and self-worth. It was through being here at Water Street Rescue Mission that I had the opportunity to seek a relationship with my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

With the help and encouragement of the counselors here, especially Carissa who I have grown to love, I began to reach out and ask God for help. I wanted to change my life for the better, and I knew from past experience that I couldn’t do it by myself. Each day I began to spend time with God through prayer, meditation and reading the Word of God. Participating in devotions [in the shelter] every morning helped me to learn how to set aside some time each day to spend with God. It was in God’s word that I learned no matter what I’ve done or how messed up my life is, Jesus loves me. With His blood, He paid “the full price” for my sins – past, present and future. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Jesus is my peace in the midst of any storm.

I met with my counselor [at Water Street Rescue Mission] once a week. She helped me set goals for myself according to my needs. With the 8 months that I spent at the Water Street Rescue Mission, I successfully completed 6 months of intensive out-patient drug and alcohol treatment, I became an active member of Narcotics Anonymous (NA), I joined a Bible-teaching church – Brightside, I’m working with Office of Vocational Rehabilitation (OVR) to pursue an Associate’s degree at HACC in Allied Human Services, and on April 1, 2008, God blessed me with a beautiful one bedroom apartment.

Although the time came for me to move on [from Water Street Rescue Mission], I stay connected to the Mission by volunteering at the food distribution center and participating in the Women’s Alumni Group every other Tuesday of the month.

I know that God is not finished with me yet. I’m looking forward to Him using me in a mighty way.

-Marlo, former resident

No comments: