Friday, May 22, 2009

Changed Lives at The Lydia Center

Sometimes I feel like a cheerleader watching a great “play” unfold when I see God transforming the lives of the women at the Lydia Center. One of those ladies whom I have the pleasure of working with is Lori. Lori has struggled with alcoholism since the age of 17 and battled with anorexia since she was 29. Now, at 42 she is a resident at the Lydia Center and has made several life changing decisions.

She writes:
“Since coming to the Lydia Center in October of 2008 many changes have occurred in my life. I have come to know Jesus Christ as my personal savior. I feel that God has put the ladies at the Lydia Center in my life. I am learning how to build friendships again and how to reach out to others. One of the best things about my relationship with God is that I know that God is always with me no matter where I go. I always have someone to talk to and pray to. The best thing of all is that God has given me a sense of peace inside and has filled the void in me that I have been searching to fill my whole life. I also have the love and trust of my sister again and that means the world to me.”

Lori also appreciates the opportunities she has in the Learning and Career Center. She is learning different programs on the computer, how to budget money and how to improve her work skills for the future.

In my five months knowing Lori, her whole demeanor has changed. In my first few meetings with her, she did not have much hope for her future and had a dismal outlook on life. I am simply amazed at the transforming power of Jesus in Lori’s life. Since God has come into her life Lori has been participating in classes, identifying lies and replacing those lies with God’s truth, and is falling in love with his Word. When I think of Lori’s life I think of the promise in Jeremiah 29:11 that God desires to give us a future of hope.

So, I will continue to cheer as I watch the exciting work of God unfold in the changed lives of the women at the Lydia Center. All glory and praise belongs to him for he is good.

Joy Gehman, Case Worker – Lydia Center

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank God for transformed lives at the Lydia Center! - Janis