Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Serving and Supporting

Lately I've been giving thanks to God for all the people and especially families I see supporting the homeless. I've recently had 3 invigorating conversations.


First, I discovered that an exmissionite at a local nursing home (recovering from a head injury and month long coma!) indeed has family that cares about him and visits him regularly!

Then, just Friday I met a lifetime neighbor of one of our men in the Christian Life Development Program. He was glad his friend was getting help and wanted to stay involved in his life.

Finally, I had an encouraging conversation with a step grandfather of a former resident who left the mission very upset with me. The step grandfather helped me understand some background from the ex resident and he told me how they were reaching out to him but also holding him to boundaries.

In each of these conversations I am aware of the importance of relationships in our resident's lives - even if it isn't family - relationships are SO important. It's an honor to work with friends and families of our residents.

I thank God for all the friends and families of our residents past and present and I pray for even more to get involved. If you're interested please contact our Men's ministry director Aaron Eggers @ 358-2026

P.S. I am also constantly reminded of how blessed we are as staff at the Mission to have so many agencies in Lancaster County that we have the privilege of working with and who help our residents in so many ways. How lonely it would be……

-Chuck Albrecht, Men’s Ministry

No comments: