Monday, February 08, 2010

Learning from One Another

Ephesians 4:15b-16, English Standard Version
"Speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ, from whom the whole body, joined and held together by every joint with which it is equipped, when each part is working properly, makes the body grow so that it builds itself up in love."

Here at Water Street Ministries we desire to speak love and life in situations and struggles where it is often absent. One staff member shared these profound reflections that many times it is the residents and community that are the voices and hands that reveal honest, selfless love to us - and not simply the other way around! Listen, to these stories...


I find myself quite often on the streets of Lancaster, walking past groups of people engaged in conversation. Some of the words overheard in those conversations cannot be repeated here. But the other morning, while walking into work, I overheard a conversation between two male clients, and words such as “appreciate” and “blessed” reached my ears. This experience impressed upon me that we really are having an impact on the people who pass through our ministry.

On another occasion...
I had an appointment in Lancaster at 7 PM one Monday evening, I decided to work a little later rather than run home and right back again shortly thereafter. I usually park on Water Street and by the time I left to go to my car, the rear gates were locked. Still unfamiliar with access to different areas of the buildings, I asked the ladies who were sitting on the benches near the parking area if they knew of any short-cut way that I might use to go more directly to my car. They said there was no short-cut, that I would have to walk out to Prince Street, down Farnum and then down Water Street to my car. Before I even thought of it as a personal safety issue, Donna stepped forward and asked if I would like her to walk with me to my car. I was overwhelmed! I felt, as an employee here, my work was “providing” for the clients, and here it was a client who so thoughtfully “provided” for me! I guess it proves that we all have something to give each other no matter how little we may seem to have.

No comments: