Monday, February 15, 2010

A Teen Haven Supporter Shares Her Story

I was greeted at the door by a Spanish speaking woman who questioned my intentions. I said my name and that I was with Water Street Ministries from Lancaster, Pennsylvania. Over her shoulder I could see an elderly woman sitting on the couch wrapped in a blanket.

It was a grey, rainy day in Southern California, but not what this PA native would consider chilly even in April. Edith was a frail looking woman in her early 80's. I introduced myself to this matriarchal lady and she responded in kind. While Edith appeared cold on the outside her smile was warm and inviting. Familiar with Teen Haven, she required a brief explanation of Water Street Ministries. She of course was curious as to how someone associated with Teen Haven was in her living room. (I was attending a conference in California and thought it would be nice to look up some of our long distance supporters during my free time).

As we shared together our conversation centered around how Edith and her husband came to know Bill Drury, the founder of Teen Haven. She explained that they were drawn to the passion Mr. Drury had for helping urban youth. Loyal supporters of the ministry for more than 20 years Edith spoke of her commitment to follow God and his commandments. She had never been to Pennsylvania and thus had not seen Teen Haven ministries in person, but she knew the locations and the work being done. Before I knew it 45 minutes had passed. If it had not been for Edith's assistant reminding her it was time to check her medication I could have been lost in conversation for much longer. As it was the day was growing late and we both recognized the need to part company.

Edith, delighted someone had taken the time to say hello, asked that I remind everyone back home of the good work we were doing and to stay strong in the Lord for He is our strength. We shook hands and as I looked into this women's face I could see the love she spoke of for her husband, Teen Haven and the Lord. As the door closed behind me and I walked to the car I realized how truly blessed I was to be able to spend some time with this lady of the Lord.

Keith Shetter • Director of Donor Relations

No comments: