Monday, March 14, 2011

Now that was God

This post is part of our current Blog Series - focusing on Addiction! As you read these stories we invite you to share your thoughts, reflections and insights. This series will include stories on addiction, along with 8 articles from our most recent Messenger magazine. Our hope is that as we engage in conversation together, we can gain a deeper understanding in the midst of trials and celebrations of overcoming addiction.

By Chuck Albrecht, shelter manager, Water Street Mission

I recently was blessed to witness God's hand leading me clearly in His perfect timing.

Jose* came to Water Street as an alcoholic who could no longer live with his wife. Due to his age, he was enrolled in the Mission’s Supportive Services Program, which is designed for individuals who can’t easily find employment to support themselves. [This program invites individuals to live at the Mission until we can help them move into permanent supportive housing.]

Our staff described Jose as a lively elderly man with a twinkle in his eye, and “easy to like.” A few weeks ago, this seemingly healthy man went to the hospital with chest pains. As they were running tests, the doctors discovered he had metastasized cancer in his kidney. The cancer was so severe that it had spread through the rest of his body. Within a week of being admitted to the hospital, he couldn’t walk.

A nurse had been trying to contact his wife of 20 years, but the phone number wasn’t working. I was asked to try and find her, but my schedule was completely booked the day I received the request. Then a caseworker told me that one of our clients no longer needed a ride to an appointment, which opened up two hours for me. I knew this was my opportunity to look for Jose’s wife.

With a street address but no apartment number, I arrived outside a building with seven doorbells to choose from and no names. I rang them all and only one elderly woman answered. Thankfully she trusted me enough to let me in. As I spoke with her, I was blessed to hear she was the grandmother of one our former clients, and she voiced her concern for him and thankfulness for our help. Then she showed me to Jose’s wife’s apartment and gave me the tip that if she wasn't home, she would most likely be at the restaurant across the street.

I walked over and sure enough there she was! We were both glad I had found her. Jose had remained in contact with her while he was living at the Mission, but she hadn't heard from him for a week (since he went to the hospital) and was really worried. She was grateful for the ride as we drove to the hospital’s trauma unit.

I took Jose’s wife to his room, and we were able to pray together before I left them alone. On my way out, a nurse thanked me for finding Jose’s wife, and I replied, “that was GOD,” thinking of all the ‘coincidences’ that enabled me to bring her to the hospital.

Jose responded to the devastating news of his condition like a champ. He didn’t want any extraordinary measures because he knew Jesus and was ready to be with Him. He has since been transferred to Hospice and isn’t expected to live much longer.

So no matter how long we think we might have somebody, we never really know. Jose’s story is a good reminder to love everyone God puts in our path, and listen to His promptings.

*Jose’s name was changed to protect his identity

We love hearing from you! Post your comments below, or Click Here to visit our Facebook page and join the conversation!

Previous Posts in this Series:
Fighting Addiction With the Armor of God
Fighting Addiction, and Experiencing God's Love
Dying to be FREE
She Walked In
Caught Between Egypt & the Promised Land
Quitting is the easy part!
Preventing Teen Drug Use

Stay tuned for the next post in this series on Addiction!

No comments: