Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Children’s Prayers Reach God’s Ears

This post is part of our current Blog Series - focusing on Addiction! As you read these stories we invite you to share your thoughts, reflections and insights. This series will include stories on addiction, along with 8 articles from our most recent Messenger magazine. Our hope is that as we engage in conversation together, we can gain a deeper understanding in the midst of trials and celebrations of overcoming addiction.

Article 6 (of 8) in the Messenger magazine - Winter 2011 Edition -

By Nikki Norton, Teacher, Wonder Club Early Learning Centers

One morning at Wonder Club as we were taking prayer requests, a student said, “Pray for my sister; she drinks too much beer.” The request reminded me of my own childhood.

My parents were addicted to heroine, cocaine, and alcohol. Because of their drug use, there was domestic violence in our home. My parents even stole money from me and my four brothers. We became homeless when I was 15 years old, and the seven of us lived in one motel room for over two years. Eventually my father lost his job because of drugs, and my two older brothers began using drugs.

Feeling hopeless, I remember sitting on my bed and wishing that someone or something would change my family.

At age 22, I met a group of Christians who shared the love of Christ with me. After a really bad fight with my mom while she was high, I ran to my room, fell on my knees, and cried, “If You are real, if You are who these Christians say You are, then show me.” Later that night I gave my life to Christ.

I changed, but my family did not. I remember coming home from Bible study to find my parents and brothers high. Then, after three years of prayer, my parents, brothers and grandfather gave their lives to the Lord and allowed Him to start restoring all that drugs and alcohol had taken.

Over the years I have come to learn the difference between a wish and a prayer. A wish is like a balloon released in the air; we watch it having no clue where it will land. A prayer has a destination; it goes straight to God’s ear.

This revelation is something that we teach our Wonder Club students regularly. I may not know the specifics of the students’ home lives or which students are growing up with addictions in their home, but God does. He cares for each of the students at Wonder Club and has a plan for them just like He had a plan for me. As we teach our students how to pray, I know He hears the prayers, aimed directly at His ears, of students struggling with addiction in their homes.

We love hearing from you! Post your comments below, or Click Here to visit our Facebook page and join the conversation!


Previous Posts in this Series: Fighting Addiction With the Armor of God Fighting Addiction, and Experiencing God's Love Dying to be FREE She Walked In Caught Between Egypt & the Promised Land Quitting is the easy part! Preventing Teen Drug Use Realizing our addictions (remember... even Jesus was tempted) Now That Was God Access to Health & Hope Healing from Hurts, Hang-ups & Habits A Journey to Christ


Stay tuned for the next post in this series on Addiction!

No comments: