Wednesday, April 12, 2006

License to drive



I grew up in a pretty typical suburban family. It still amazes me how many of the things that were “normal” to my experience growing up (things that I take for granted) can be extraordinary in the life of a kid growing up in the city. I could share many, many examples.

Today, I’m thinking about driving a car… when I turned 16, I took my permit exam, and about a week later passed the test to get my license, and I’ve been driving ever since. No big deal, just like riding a bike.

Not quite the same experience for most of the kids we work with. A license is a rarity, access to a car - a luxury, motivation and support from parents to pass your test – often non-existent. So many of the teens we work with never get a license, or else struggle through the process. 8 years ago, when I ran a “driving club” at our Lancaster youth center to help kids learn to drive, only 2 of the 10 who started actually got their license (although maybe that’s more a reflection on their teacher…naah).

With this in mind, I was ecstatic when I received this understated email from John (our Philadelphia Field Director) about Aaron, a Teen Haven alumni and camp counselor:

Aaron is in his early twenties. Like many city kids, he did not get his drivers license while a teenager. He told me that he wanted me to teach him to drive. So I used my personal car on the Philadelphia zoo parking lot and had several sessions with him. Last Thursday I met him at the Island Avenue Penndot center at 8:30 in the morning. He used my car to take his test and passed. He is very happy about this.

Sometimes it’s about the “little” things that aren’t so little.

-Jack Crowley, Teen Haven Director

No comments: