Friday, March 23, 2007

A wild ride

Our shelter devotions this morning, from Chapter 25 of the Purpose Driven Life, dealt with God’s authority over everything that happens to us and His promise to make all of it work together for good when we belong to Him. I put that promise into practice personally when I left work last Friday evening – in a blizzard.

In my younger days, I was not so concerned about bad weather. As a matter of fact, snow was an occasion for celebration as my children and I took our sleds to Buchanan Park and raced each other up and down the hills. Now that my sledding days (and a few unwanted pounds) are behind me, I look at snow through different eyes. I must admit to being fearful of traveling in it. (Maybe “terrified” would be a better word.) While my heart tells me, “be not afraid,” my mind says, “you might break a bone or lose your car, and then what would you do?” and I want to watch it through my living room window rather than shovel it or drive in it “up close and personal.”

Before I left the mission Friday night a little after 10 p.m., I gave my safety to the Lord. And, as I traveled through the slippery streets of Lancaster, He was along for the ride. I thanked Him for the empty seat beside me where I knew my guardian angel was in residence, working overtime on my behalf. As I slid through the city looking for a path from shelter to home, (experiencing what it must be like to steer a toboggan over rough terrain), I went with a song in my heart. Actually, I think I made up about a dozen new verses to “God is So Good.” And indeed God was good. I made it home safely and found a son and grandson inside to welcome me.

It took slightly less than an hour to make the five-minute trip home. Yet the confidence that God would deliver me, no matter what, cast out all fear. I thanked Him again and again upon arriving home, but had to ask myself. Would I, could I have thanked Him again and again if my ride had not ended so well? Oh, I hope so. Would God have been any less good, had I slid into another vehicle on my way home, or not been able to stop at an intersection? Would I have questioned His faithfulness if I had awakened in Intensive Care?

Lord, I thank you for your unfailing faithfulness. May I be faithful right back, especially when things don’t go my way. What a blessing to know that your plan for me is perfect, no matter what it includes. I see the present clearly, but you know the first from the last. So, when I can’t understand, when I can’t see your hand, help me Lord to trust your heart.

- Vicki Bollman, Women’s Ministry

No comments: