Monday, July 21, 2008

Mmmm... Steak


Last winter Molly Breitenfeld came to visit the Lydia Center. She spoke to us about Spark Ministry and how she planned to bring a group of ladies from the Texas based ministry to lead a retreat for everyone here at the Lydia Center.

Molly toured our beautiful facility and got more excited by the minute. She is a creative personality and she wove together all manner of dreams for our April time together. We spoke a great deal about food, of course. What is a women’s retreat without food? Molly promised a Texas style BBQ with steak for everyone, and an outdoor picnic with burgers cooked on our very used but still operational grills.

Months of planning and preparation brought the much anticipated event closer. Then in mid March we had a wind storm that blew heavy across Grace Plateau. Shingles blew off the cottage roofs and siding was pulled off several buildings. Our grills were blown off the loading dock and fell in ruin to the gravel (three feet) below.

It didn’t take our faithful maintenance crew long to repair the buildings but they could do nothing to repair our grills. I called the redistribution department and asked for a grill or two, but there were none available. Staff and residents together began to pray for the grills to be replaced in time for the Spark retreat which was fast approaching. The future looked bleak for our steak BBQ.

On April 3rd, just 8 days before the arrival of our Texas Gals, I was earnestly praying at my desk. When I opened my eyes I caught sight of a note taped to my desk reminding me to call a friend of the LYC. The note was months old but I heard God saying “Make the call.” I dialed the number intending to check in with this dear one and her husband. The automated message asked me to leave a message. I greeted the couple and then asked them if they could please keep their eyes open for a couple of used grills. I know that they have many contacts and I proposed that someone might be purchasing a new one for themselves and would want to donate their used one to the center. I ended the call with a hope that they would visit us here sometime soon.

We played ‘phone tag’ for the next 2 days. On Saturday morning I happened to drop by the center to get something from my office. My phone rang and although I wanted to ignore it I wondered who could be calling me at work on a Saturday morning. When I answered the call I was surprised to hear my friend saying that they were at Lowes picking up a grill and would like to deliver it that morning. We made the necessary arrangements for delivery.

Monday morning I was surprised to find not one but two very nice new grills waiting for me. It didn’t take long to spread the word of how tremendously God had answered our prayers, and He did so just 4 days before our retreat. An added blessing was a delivery of fresh meats organized by Spark Ministry, which we have enjoyed cooking on our new grills. With every juicy bite we are reminded of how God uses ordinary people to do extraordinary things. And we are thankful for those who respond when God calls them into service.


-Paula Sentgeorge, Lydia Center

No comments: