Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Lunchtime with Don

I sat with Don at lunch on Wednesday. I was aware of his friendship with Eugene (a resident who recently passed away) and thought it may be a good opportunity to check in with him. Don and I have been involved in some solid conversations since realizing Don knew my father from his attending Grace Church at Willow Valley.

I inquired as to how he was dealing with Eugene's passing and Don was very open with his feelings in fact he went on to share with me how he really needed to get things right with his children. He had resolved his feelings toward his father and knew that would be a challenge, but now he felt this last hurdle would be the most difficult. In seeing his friend Eugene lying in a hospital bed unable to communicate with his family he knew the importance of at least attempting to establish contact with his children.

Don was sitting at the table by himself and while I often sit with the men on this day I was led by the spirit to take a seat across the table from Don. Don thanked me for asking about him and asked me to pray for him. I have been reminded of Don at various times since our conversation and I will hold Don up in prayer.

Keith Shetter • Director of Donor Relations, Water Street Ministries

No comments: