Thursday, November 30, 2006

Words from a planter in Philly




Several months ago, Jamie Centeno left his role with us as Lancaster Teen Haven Director to prepare (along with his family) to return to Philadelphia as a pioneering pastor sent out by In The Light Ministries. They have now been in Philadelphia for a few months and are faithfully following God's call to serve and share the love of Christ in North Philadelphia.

As I looked back over his newsletters and updates today, I felt compelled to share one of his columns (I hope you don't mind Jamie). Please pray for Jamie, his family, and In The Light Ministries Philadelphia. Also, check out their website to see how God is working in their midst in Philadelphia... www.itlmphilly.org

Faith doesn’t feel good. That’s the revelation I have been shown by God. Most likely that is an elementary statement to you but bear with me.

Though God orders my steps I am not always walking on the smoothest terrain. I must admit sometimes it seems that the easier road would be the one everyone else travels. I see myself ‘rubbernecking’ at what I left behind. Comfort, security, the familiar and the list could go on.

I had great aspirations at what my act of obedience would produce. Somehow the circumstances blew the wind out of my sails. Where before it was so real that I could sink my teeth into it now the only thing my teeth have sunk into are my fingernails. The old school song comes to mind ‘feelings are nothing more than feelings’. The truth is my feelings are not the point and my life is not my own.

I am reminded of the covenant that was made between God and me. If I stay faithful on my end I can be confident because God has never failed me from His end. I need constant reassurance of this. That need has revealed to me how fragile my faith is. The Lord is looking to toughen my resolve. I am becoming more aware of this as the days move forward.

So even though faith doesn’t feel good if I will continue my resilience in trusting God then I can believe the end result will be worth the momentary discomfort.

Your Servant in Christ,
Pastor Jamie Centeno

No comments: