Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Crisis?

Monday morning on the way to the mission, I began to review the upcoming day. My thoughts went back to a ‘crisis’ I was having the prior Monday. I knew that something had bothered me a week ago but couldn’t remember what the crisis was! Isn’t that odd? Nothing could help me recall what worried me so much from the Monday prior! And it got me thinking: how often is the present very annoying and bothersome thing really the crisis I make it out to be?

When I’m in ‘crisis mode’ I take things that others do as personal affronts to my self-worth, my heart rate increases, I’m more anxious about pretty much everything and life looks bleak and hopeless. And I wonder why others aren’t seeing the same ‘crisis’ that I am!

I don’t totally understand the ‘psychology’ of why I perceive some things at times as a crisis but I have noticed this: often over time and with a bit of perspective my situation turns out not as dire as I am making it!

And I’m reminded that Jesus never seemed to operate in ‘crisis mode’ in spite of being surrounded by real human tragedy and others who wanted to convince Him of the crisis of their situation! And what was His ‘secret?’ Why didn’t He lurch from one crisis situation to the next trying to stay ahead of the pressing human need all around Him? I’m not totally sure but am reminded of His own words that speak of His desire to obey the Father and not be governed by the ‘press of the crowd.’

Therefore Jesus answered and was saying to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, unless it is something He sees the Father doing; for whatever the Father does, these things the Son also does in like manner. "For the Father loves the Son, and shows Him all things that He Himself is doing; and the Father will show Him greater works than these, so that you will marvel.” (John 5:19-20)

-Steve Brubaker, Residential Ministries

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Steve-o! I needed this reminder to press into the Father today!

Anonymous said...

Word!