Monday, August 07, 2006

He makes all things new


The clinic had a beautiful Hibiscus plant in the window that was blooming about every 3 days with a large orange flower. Millie & I loved looking at that flower and believed it was a sign from God of the wonderful work He is doing through the clinics to make people “bloom”. He has a plan for each of us, and it is good!

One day, Millie noticed that the plant’s leaves were turning yellow and it was infested with aphids. My heart sank and I prayed, “Dear Lord, I love this plant. Everyday as I looked upon it I got hope for the clinic and that those we touch will bloom and grow under your hand.” I looked at it for a couple of days with sorrow and finally, with Millie’s encouragement, took it home. She advised me to trim it back to short branches (it was about 2 feet tall) and then treat it with aphid spray.

I took it home and placed it on my deck, away from the other plants so as to not infect them, and looked at it for 3 days. I just couldn’t bear to cut its beautiful branches (although they weren’t as beautiful with the infection) for I remembered how beautiful it used to be, and was afraid it would die if I cut it back to far. Finally, I realized if I did nothing it was going to die also. I had to try. So I cut the branches off to about 6 inches & sprayed it twice with the aphid spray, gave it water with nutrients and prayed.

Wow, within days I noticed fresh green tender leaves sprouting from places that were barren and appeared dead! My heart had hope, and as I watched it grow healthier I became filled with joy. He was saving the plant from death, but I had to do my part by pruning and treating the disease.

It has now been a month and the Hibiscus plant is full and strong. As I sat and thanked God for this, He reminded me that this is what He is doing in the clinics. Clients come to us for their disease (illness, decay) and we have to cut out and treat the disease and give them medicine. He then works in them to heal. His healing is way beyond the physical. He has us start with the physical in the clinic as the immediate need, and then by offering His Word, prayer and His Spirit, He heals their body, mind and spirit. He makes all things new!

I am amazed at how God uses the everyday things in our lives to speak His truth & wisdom to us! Sometimes though we don’t want to go through the pain of pruning in our lives even though it is exactly what we need!

Ezekiel 36:26 - I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh.
II Corinthians 5:17 - Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!


-Gale Thomason, Water Street Clinics

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gale~ You are an encouragement to me. Thank you for this blog, it made me teary eyed...Lisa