Friday, June 12, 2009

Swinging and Singing

Luke 10:21
At that time Jesus, full of joy through the Holy Spirit, said, "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this was your good pleasure.

Today as I was pushing 4-year-old Tonya* on the swings at a park, she started singing a song. I tried and tried to figure out what song she was singing, but as she kept singing I realized that she was making up the song. I couldn’t take credit for teaching it to her!


It was a beautiful song of worship to Jesus: a combination of words from songs like “Jesus Loves Me,” but also words that she was putting together herself. She went on for several minutes, and I was able to hear snippets of things she knows about Jesus, such as his death, love, and the promise of heaven. Her worship was spontaneous, joyful, and bold in the presence of many other children and adults. Jesus is teaching me so much through children like Tonya*.


*name changed

-Carmen Garber, Wonder Club Early Learning Centers

No comments: