Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Between a rock and a hard place


We had a tough meeting today. We were caught between the tension of having to do more with less and the program staff was feeling it. They were weary of trying to fill a schedule while short staffed, weary of the pressure to make a program happen, weary of the unrelenting demands of trying to love broken people. Just very weary.

And I, the facilitator of the meeting, didn’t have a clue of what to say nor did I know how to encourage the tired folks around me. So we sat and looked at each other for a bit. And then we sat for a bit more. Finally I said, “I have nothing to say but let’s remember what we are to be about.”

“God has called us here to come alongside homeless and broken down people. As far as we know He hasn’t changed His desire for us. So now – even though we are weary and tired and short staffed and not sure we can contribute anything of value – let’s seek Him by continuing to walk in the calling He has on our lives.”

And you know what happened? Nothing really! We had neither new perspective nor any profound wisdom following the meeting! But we did leave grateful for this reminder: the God of the universe uses tired and weary and messed up people – such as us – to minister! It truly is all about Him and His agenda!

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. (2 Corinthians 12:9)

- Steve Brubaker, Director of Residential Ministries

No comments: