Monday, May 22, 2006

Things I have learned...

Two things have became clear to me.

  • Many seek God’s blessing, but I was surprised to learn that God has already blessed us with every spiritual blessing in Christ (Eph. 1:3).
  • I also learned that legalism is obeying God so that He will bless; under grace we obey God because He has blessed us. I had discovered that I am to bless others with the blessing God blessed me.

Thinking of blessing in a general way does not seem to work for me; thinking specifically does.

  • Since God loved me, I am to love others (1 John 4:10-11).
  • Since God forgave me, I am to forgive others (Eph. 4:32).
  • Since God has comforted me, I am to comfort others (2 Cor. 1:3-4).
  • Since God has met my needs, I am to be generous (2 Cor. 9:8-11).

What a change in operation, to do based on what has been done, rather than to gain from God. Having learned these two things, my desire is to share them with others.

-Michael Haines, Chaplain

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wonderful message on blessings Michael. You are gifted in writing devotionals and I really liked it and it is very applicable for us all!!! Please keep them coming! chuck