Monday, May 08, 2006

Why I came to work today...

God has a great sense of timing when it comes to reminding me why I come to work at the Water Street Rescue Mission, where we are engaged in the Ministry of rescue – yet we are totally incapable of rescuing anyone.

Take Luis, who I met at Turkey Hill this morning. I have known Luis for 13 years – a regular at WSRM – and usually when I see him, he is either working on getting drunk or working on sobering up. As I watched Luis stumble around the Turkey Hill, the raw odor of urine and beer filled the store. Customers went out of their way to avoid him did not hide their disgust as they moved to avoid any contact with him or his space.

I Love Luis – because he reminds me of myself, and because Jesus loves me in spite of how smelly I have become. Paul writes in 1Cor. 6:9-11:

Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God.  And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God. (Emphasis mine).

Or as Eugene Peterson writes in “The Message”;
Don’t you realize that this is not the way to live? Unjust people who don’t care about God will not be joining in His kingdom. Those who use and abuse each other, use and abuse sex, use and abuse the earth and everything in it, don’t qualify as citizens in God’s kingdom ...

How often do we stop here in our judgment of others... If I stop here I am running from Luis and avoiding him.... missing out on his smile and kind words... offered with a handshake and a joke....

A number of you know from experience what I’m talking about, for not so long ago you were on that list. Since then you’ve been cleaned up and given a fresh start by Jesus, our Master, our Messiah, and by our God present in us, the Spirit.

Lord, as I meet people today, no matter how smelly they might seem, help me to remember just how bad I look and smell – and the awesome Love and Grace you poured out in me. May I be a vessel of your grace and mercy, that others might experience a fresh start.

Thanks for the smile Luis, and the timing God... and that’s why I came to work today....

-Rick Rutter, Outreach Ministries Director





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beatiful words you wrote there.

Addictions are really tough to conquer, some even say that alcoholism is a disease, but, I know someone who sought help, got help and quit drinking for good and turned his life around. So, it can be done. Thank you for helping this young man and for not forsaking him. Jesus is surely living inside of you.

Anonymous said...

wow that 1st comment was encouraging Rick - thanks too for what you wrote Rick - I know what you mean - funny that God just reminded me last night to engage him in conversation as our team was getting ready to get our weekly creaming at Conlin Field. He certainly is one of those "hopeless" ones but I guess he's only really hopeless when he's not alive - meanwhile, let us not underestimate the power in us and keep loving and prodding - thanks Rick - Chuck