Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Finding meaning through serving

Searching for the true meaning of life? You’ll find it in serving the Lord with sincere commitment and living for Him. I’ve been volunteering for a number of years at the Water Street Rescue Mission, helping with the mail, preparing food, correcting Bible lessons and much more.

The fellowship with other volunteers is enjoyable and strengthening. The dedication of the chaplains, teachers, counselors and everyone else is amazing and encouraging. Time here on earth passes quickly and we must serve while we have the opportunity.

The bread that giveth strength I want to give,
And the water pure that bids thirsty live.
I want to help the fainting day by day;
I’m sure I shall not pass again this way.
I want to give to others hope and faith.
I want to do all the Master saith,
I want to live aright from day to day,
I’m not sure I shall pass again this way.
(Anonymous)


-Barbara Nissly, 86 year-old volunteer

No comments: