Thursday, March 16, 2006

Hummingbirds


My passion is hummingbirds. Though not my first passion, it is certainly on my “top ten” list. Have you ever wondered how amazing it is to see these tiny “jewels” flitting around so quickly that the eye can hardly keep them in view? I became fascinated with them just after arriving in the USA when a church member gave me a feeder as a gift, (we don’t have hummingbirds where I come from.) Not really knowing anything about these birds, I decided to hang the feeder out anyway. Then came the waiting time. I watched and I waited, and summer slipped by with the feeder hanging there ignored and unused, and still I watched and waited.

One morning, as I was taking a leisurely breakfast on the deck I casually glanced at the feeder with no real hope of seeing anything when it suddenly dawned on me that there was something sitting on the perch. I was stunned, speechless and in tears. This tiny creature appeared when I least expected it and then it was gone just as fast.

I was taught a valuable lesson that day. God is in the business of sending blessings into our lives but sometimes those blessings are tiny and they come so unexpectedly that we miss them. He showed me how important it is to look for the small, daily blessings instead of always looking for the big things .A smile, a word of encouragement, someone who holds the elevator door open for you when you are trailing 10 yards behind and round the corner, these are the small blessings for which I am truly thankful.

- Sue Pearce, Learning Center Coordinator

No comments: