Monday, March 27, 2006

Loving because of Christ

What is the center of Christianity? Some say Christianity is religion. Others say Christianity is relationship. To me, Christianity is Christ. He is the center, source and goal.

Colossians 3:4 calls Christ our life. Philippians 1:21 has living as Christ. Colossians 1:16 has Christ as Creator and goal of His creation. Paul stated in 1 Corinthians 2:2, that his resolve was to know nothing other than Christ and Him crucified.

When trying to reach the people of Lancaster City, the secondary goals must not be primary. The main goal must always be related to Jesus Christ. He is the solution for man.

For me as a Chaplain, this needs to be in mind. I witness and give to other’s needs not because of the need but because of our Commander and Chief’s command and example. He loved with sacrifice. My service must be one of love. As a result, actions and attitudes of clients should not determine my service to them. They do not merit love. My sacrifice for them must come out of love for Christ; apart from the good or bad they might do.

-Michael Haines, chaplain

No comments: