Wednesday, March 08, 2006

A snowy day in Philly




Feb. 13 schools were closed and Bible Study was cancelled due to snow. I called Brandon Robinson and Joe Hall, two of our junior counselors, to see if they would spend the day with me doing volunteer work.

First we went to the 20th Street Teen Haven building where Miss Ann and Miss Oddet live. We thought we'd help them by shoveling out Ann's car, Oddet's car and Oddet's van. The guys worked hard and did a good job. We had it all done in less than an hour. Then we were rewarded with lunch served by Oddet in her kitchen. Oddet told me later how impressed she was with the courteous and respectful behavior of Brandon and Joe.

After lunch, Joe, Brandon and I drove over to Shahid’s house. Shahid is new to Teen Haven and has not seemed very enthusiastic about coming or about doing his quiet times or memory verses. He does do them, seemingly grudgingly.

Joe and Brandon (along with Curt, another staff) sometimes visit other boys from bible study to encourage them to do better quiet times (many of the boys only do the bare minimum).

This visit worked particularly well with Shahid. Shahid doesn't talk much with me, because I'm an adult. Just gives me one word answers. So I didn't say a thing. Brandon and Joe led everything. They kept peppering Shahid with questions until he really started to open up and share his thoughts. The passage Joe and Brandon chose to go over was from the book of James, chapter 3, about the proper and improper use of the tongue. The discussion was very stimulating and helpful to everyone. I think Shahid was greatly encouraged. (Update: a month later, John reports that Shahid continues to put in great effort on his bible studies and quiet times.)

-John Schleh, Philadelphia Teen Haven

No comments: