Friday, March 24, 2006

Open my eyes


Here at Water Street, we work among guys with lots of problems and issues. Yet, among them I often see such tenderness and servanthood (evidence of being God’s workmanship even though the work isn’t any where near complete).

Earlier this week we were headed up to the gym and our blind resident Mike wanted to go along (I quite honestly thought it was pointless) and so one of the guys let him “latch” on to him and slowly walked the 2 blocks to the gym.

As soon as we got there another guy started assisting Mike shooting free throws. While this other resident could have been practicing for the game they were going to play here he was serving a blind brother by standing under the basket, tapping the middle of the backboard so Mike could hear where the basket was.

Mike hit the rim more times than not. I left the gym amazed at the lesson in serving that God taught me through a mission man that took time out to help a blind brother shoot baskets.

God, I think I need my blind eyes opened!

-Chuck, Chaplain

No comments: